Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Southern Comfort

I made Chicken Pot Pie Tuesday night when that cold front blew in. The timing couldn't have been better...and I'm sure that's part of the reason I went back for seconds--twice (and had it for lunch 2 days following)!

The recipe is from a dear friend that I've known for a long time--Little MKV. She delivered us two for dinner when we brought Riley home from the hospital. One to eat for dinner that night and one to freeze. I'd forgotten how good they were until I made them. The recipe is the easiest I've tried and by far the tastiest. I have to share. I hope it's okay...

Chicken Pot Pie

1 pkg. frozen peas and carrots (I used a mixed veggie with lima beans and corn too)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup onion (she asked me very nicely to put these in, but if you know me at all, I don't even let onions into my house!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2-3 cups chopped, cooked chicken (or turkey)(I used canned, rinsed and flaked it)
2 refrigerated pie crusts (use Pillsbury in the red box, refrigerated section)

Rinse frozen veggies under running cold water to separate; drain.

Heat butter in 2 quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, onion (blech), salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and vegetables.

Place 1 prepared pie crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Pour chicken mixture into pie plate. Place remaining crust over filling. Turn edges under and flute. (NOT my specialty, by the way.) Poke holes with a fork in the top to vent. Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, about 35 minutes.

1 comment:

rachael... said...

This sounds like something even I could make...except for the whole "fluting" part...